Our skin is the biggest organ we have, but it is also the most exposed. As we age, so does our skin, and it can start to show some subtle signs of the aging process, such as fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, and an uneven skin tone.
Aging skin is not always indicative of one’s age, as the skin can show signs of aging faster than we would like. This can be for many reasons, such as:
- hormonal imbalances
- poor diet
- environmental factors
- sun damage
- lack of hydration
- free radical damage
We can prevent the common signs of aging and begin to restore the skin’s youthful appearance by incorporating some great routines into our skincare regimen.
Read on to discover how we can slow down the aging process and keep our skin looking youthful and rejuvenated.
Understanding The Signs Of Aging Skin
What are the signs of aging skin? Our skin goes through an awful lot as we age!
We are exposed to many different chemicals, pollutants, sun rays, environmental factors, etc., that have all been detrimental to the health of our skin and contribute to the common signs of aging.
There are three main stages of skin aging:
- skin barrier breakdown
- skin roughness
- uneven skin tone
To truly understand what each of these signs means, we have to understand why our skin is experiencing the change.
Skin barrier breakdown: The first thing to understand about skin aging is as we age, our skin becomes more permeable.
Our skin is designed to create an impenetrable barrier for our bodies to protect us from external toxins. However, as we age, our barrier becomes less effective.
Skin roughness: As we age, our skin may become a little different when it has a rough texture; this does not necessarily mean thicker, but it means that the skin may not be as smooth and balanced as it once was naturally.
Uneven Skintone: This is the area that refers to the appearance of the skin. As we age, our skin can lose the overall uniformity it once had and start to develop dark patches, age spots, and dark circles.
All of these elements can make the skin appear as though it has aged but can also appear prematurely, almost as though your skin is accelerating in age faster than your years.
What Are The Causes Of Aging Skin?
Skin can prematurely age for many different reasons, some of which we will look at in this article.
However, to start off, let us focus on some of the most common factors that lead to accelerated skin aging.
- Hormonal Imbalances – The hormonal level in our bodies can change over time. Several factors can play a role in the state of our hormones, such as:
– our diet
– the amount of exercise we do
– hormone depletion and subsequent replacement therapy
– whether we are currently menstruating
Hormone imbalances can impact our skin and, in turn, our overall health and well-being. They are most common in women and can happen at any stage of life. This includes menopause, perimenopause, pregnancy, and even illness.
- Poor Diet – There is no secret that your diet can be essential to the health of your skin. Suppose you are consuming a diet that consists of excess sugars, salts, and artificial ingredients. In that case, your skin will display that outwardly.
A diet that supports good skin health should include lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, including a wide variety of skin-loving vitamins, such as vitamins A, C, and E with lots of antioxidant foods, such as fresh berries, leafy green vegetables, and seasonal vegetables.
- Lack of Hydration – Hydration is super important for your skin health. Not only will it plump out the skin, which may give it an overall more youthful appearance, but hydration will also assist in flushing out any toxins from your skin, which may make it look dull and lifeless.
When you drink at least 2 liters of clear water a day, you can reduce dark circles and work towards making the skin appear more youthful.
How To Care For Your Skin?
Before anything, the most important thing is to treat your skin well. What you put on your skin will always have an impact.
Here are some really important points to remember to enable you to care for your skin to avoid the signs of aging:
- Lifestyle – Ensure your lifestyle is conducive to good skin health, including optimum hydration, a skin-friendly diet, adequate sleep, and correct skincare.
- Sun protection – Sun protection has to be one of the best ways to prevent the common signs of aging.
More than just a cosmetic problem, sun damage is an early sign of aging and, if not controlled early on, may lead to the development of fine lines, wrinkles, and even skin cancer. This is due to sun damage causing the collagen to break down, causing wrinkles and dark spots.
The absolute best way to prevent this is through sun protection. Daily SPF30 or greater is the most effective way to prevent damage and improve skincare from the sun. If you wear makeup, make sure you apply sunscreen under your makeup before applying it to your skin.
- Exercise – Most people get a little exercise as possible during the day, and that is something that we need to change as exercise can make your skin look and feel fresh.
Your skin is the largest organ in your body, and it needs to be taken care of daily. Go for a walk, and do 20-30 minutes of stretching and core exercises every day, and your skin will benefit from this great workout.
It’s also important to stay hydrated during the day and get as much rest as you possibly can.
- Pay attention to what you use on your skin – What you put on your skin will give it a corresponding outward appearance of youthfulness, so make sure that everything you choose suits your skin when you select it. This, of course, means that as your skin changes, your products and routine may have to change too.
Use gentle natural soaps, cleansers, and products, not harsh chemical-based ones. It is also important to never skip your best anti-wrinkle cream. These products are the most potent and will boost your skin’s natural moisture and help protect it from the elements.
A lightweight moisturizer will not clog pores, and a heavy moisturizer will soak up oil.
- Skincare routine – Making sure you have a great skincare regimen in place will be a secret weapon for controlling the common signs of aging. There are some essential steps you can take to make sure you have the anti-aging basics covered.
Cleansing is the foundation of our beauty regimen as it cleans the skin without stripping the natural oils from it.
Toners balance and clarify the skin and give it an extra boost of moisture and antioxidant benefits.
Serums are small concentrated products that contain key nutrients to boost the skin’s overall health.
A weekly mask can be perfect for improving the appearance and condition of the skin in a more intense and relaxing way.
Exfoliation is vital as it sloughs away the dead skin cells, dirt, and grime from your skin, revealing a fresh glow that can make it look more youthful.
The compilation of Meaningful Beauty reviews shows that although skin ages, there are many things we can all do to slow down the aging process and improve the skin’s appearance to ensure that it continues to look youthful.
By consuming the right foods in your diet, staying sufficiently hydrated, and using the best and most appropriate skincare products and routines for your skin, we can see that it may be possible to restore youthful-looking skin that looks fresher and rejuvenated.
While we may not be able to turn the clock back on the aging process or even fully repair the damage that has already been caused, we can do many things to further protect our skin and prevent the signs of aging from appearing any worse.
Sophia Anthony is a freelance writer and blogger, covering health and fitness topics through visual representation. She is very passionate about general health and beauty. Apart from work she likes dancing and listening to music. You can also contact her on Facebook, and Instagram.